A light, subtle, but surprisingly flavourful dish, Olan is a classic Kerala stew that is served in most Sadya's (traditional feasts) including during Onam. Combining fresh vegetables with traditional coconut oil, this stew is unbelievable healthy and refreshing.
Girija Paati's Palakkad Olan Recipe has been handed down from her grandmother, to her mother, then to her and now to you with lots of love.
- Cut all the vegetables, make the coconut milk and boil the black eyed beans.
- In a wide pot, heat water and add the long beans, and the green chillies, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the white pumpkin, cover and cook till half done.
- Add the yellow pumpkin, add water if required, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add salt and stir well, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add jaggery, cover and cook, lower flame if required.
- Once all vegetables are cooked add in the black-eyed beans.
- Switch of the flame and add in the coconut milk, stir well.
- Add coconut oil, curry leaves and close.
- Just before serving, open and stir.
- Serve with love.
Love our recipes and stories? For more South Indian recipes head over here or for the recipe videos go here.
Subscribe here and we'll send you heartwarming stories and mouthwatering recipes. Promise. Much Love.