Girija Paati’s Thengai Thogayal (Spicy Coconut Rice Mix Paste)
World over, the fortunes of the coconut have waxed and waned over the last decade, however in India we love this plentiful and nutrient rich fruit (or is it a seed or a nut?). Every coastal region of India has it’s unique coconut-based recipes, be it Goa, Maharashtra, Kerala or Tamilnadu.
This versatile ingredient can be found in almost every South Indian kitchen. It has a distinct flavour of its own and also serves as the perfect base for other flavours, bringing together varied ingredients to made unique, cohesive dishes. Girija Paati’s Thengai Thogayal (Spicy Coconut Rice Mix Paste) is one of the simplest of Tamilnadu’s coconut recipes. A dish that can act as a chutney for dosas, as a rice mix or as a side dish for phulkas.
- Coconut – medium size – ½ - grated
- Dried Red Chillies – 4-6 (depending on the spice level)
- Urad Dhal – 3 tbsp
- Asafoetida – 2 small pieces (pea size)
- Tamarind – 1 piece (grape size)
- Gingelly oil – 1 tsp
- Rock salt – to taste
If you love rice mixes, you should try Girija Paati's Paruppu Podi with kollu (lentil rice mix with horsegram). It's the perfect ready to eat, nutritious podi.
- Add gingelly oil to a kadai and heat well
- Fry the red chillies well and remove
- Fry the asafoetida well and remove
- Fry urad dhal till reddish-brown and remove
- Grind red chillies, asafoetida, grated coconut, tamarind, rock salt to a rough paste
- Add the urad dhal to the paste & a little water (just a bit, paste should be thick) and grind again to a rough paste
- Serve with rice and ghee / gingelly oil OR with hot phulkas
Lower the spice levels to suit children and older people.
This recipe is 100% vegan.
Love our recipes and stories? Find more South Indian recipes on www.girijapaati.com
Subscribe and we'll send you heartwarming stories and mouthwatering recipes. Promise. Much Love.