Thoran is a old-fashioned Palakkad recipe that harnesses the best qualities of the humble yellow pumpkin. Combining coconut, a light tadka and this commonly found indian vegetable, Girijapaati's family recipe creates a dish that will make you believe that healthy can be tasty too.
Simple, delicious and healthy, Thoran is a definite choice if you are looking for a quintessential Onam recipe that is foolproof.
Yellow Pumpkin - 1.25 kg - diced into big chunks
Coconut Oil - approx 25 gms
Salt - approx 20 gms
Water - as required
Green Chillies - 15 gms
- Make a coarse paste of green chillies and grated coconut, don't add water, set aside.
- Heat oil in kadai, put in mustard seeds and once they splutter, pop in urad dhal and fry.
- Next add in red chillies and finally finish the tadka with curry leaves.
- Add in the diced pumpkin and once it's half cooked top with salt and a splash of water. Mix well, cover and cook.
- Once the pumpkin is well done, top with the coconut chilli paste, stir until it's well mixed and turn off the flame.
- Serve with love.
Subscribe here and we'll send you heartwarming stories and mouthwatering recipes. Promise. Much Love.