Puli Aval or Tamarind Poha is a simple and delicious Gokulashtami recipe that is a must have for this festival. Tangy, with a hint of spice and asafoetida, this aval recipe brings to mind the famous Krishna and Sudhama story.
Looking for a simple recipe to make this celebration special, then this is the one for you. Go on, try Girija Paati's puli aval recipe this Krishna Jayanthi.
* Aval / Poha - 250 gms
* Tamarind - 25 gms - make tamarind water
* Tumeric - 1/4 tsp
* Salt - to taste
Seasoning / Tadka
* Urad dhal
* Dried red chillies - 2
* Bengal gram
* Curry leaves
* Asafoetida powder
* Gingelly oil
1. Wash the poha well and set aside
2. Make about 1.5-2 cups of tamarind water with the tamarind, turmeric and salt.
3. Pour the tamarind water on the poha and allow to soak till it’s fully absorbed.
4. Add oil in a pan and pop in mustard seeds.
5. Once the mustard seeds have spluttered add in the urad dhal, bengal gram and red chillies. Roast each one well, before adding in the next.
6. Add in the curry leaves and fry for a few minutes.
7. Pop in the soaked poha, mix well and cook while stirring for a few minutes.
8. Add in the asafoetida, mix well and cook on low flame for a few minutes.
9. Serve with love.
You can enjoy Puli Aval or Tamarind Poha as part of a meal with Girija Paati's other Krishna Janmashtami recipes or as a quick snack on a busy day with a masala chai.
Subscribe here and we'll send you heartwarming stories and mouthwatering recipes. Promise. Much Love.