Girijapaati's Vella Aval or Jaggery Poha is a Gokulashtami must have. Light, with just the right level of sweetness and flavoured with cardamom, this is a quintessential Janmashtami recipe.
A favourite with the young and the old, this dish is a great way to enjoy poha as a dessert.
* Aval / Poha - 250 gms
* Jaggery - 150 gms
* Grated Coconut - 100 gms
* Water as required
* Cardamom - approx 10 whole pods
* Cashews - 20 gms
* Ghee - approx 2 tbsp
1. Wash the poha well and then soak in about 2 glasses of water (poha should be completely covered).
2. Heat ghee in a kadai and roast the cashews in it till golden brown. Remove from kadai and set aside.
3. In the same kadai, add about 2 glasses of water and heat well.
4. Add the jaggery in the water and stir till completely melted.
5. Crush the cardamom with the skins and add to the jaggery water.
6. Next pop in the grated coconut and mix well.
7. Now add the poha and stir on low heat till all the ingredients are evenly combined.
8. Top with the cashews, mix well and and cook for a few minutes.
9. Serve with love.
Serve Vella Aval as part of a light meal or have it as a snack after an afternoon nap on a holiday.
Subscribe here and we'll send you heartwarming stories and mouthwatering recipes. Promise. Much Love.