Spicy, savoury and so satisfying, Girija Paati's Urad Dhal dumplings or Ulutham Paruppu Uppu Kozhukattai is a must have for Ganesh Chathurthi.
A labour of love, these delicious bite sized modaks, are worth every minute of the time it takes to makes them.
Ingredients - Rice Dough Shell
* Water - 280 gms
* Raw Maavu Rice - 100 gms
Ingredients - Filling
* Urad dhal - 5 gms
* Salt - 1 tsp
* Water to grind
* Ginger finely chopped - one tsp
* Green chillies - 2 - finely chopped
* Coconut - grated - approx 2 tbsp
* Oil to grease the idli plate
Seasoning / Tadka (all to taste)
* Cooking oil of choice
* Mustard seeds
* Urad dhal
* Dried red chillies
* Curry leaves
1. Wash the raw rice, spread out in a thin layer on a fine muslin towel and air dry. Grind the rice into a fine flour
2. Heat the water in a kadai, drop a rock of salt and a spoon of ghee into the hot water. Flame stays on.
3. Pour the rice flour gently into the kadai and stir as you pour. Make sure there are no big lumps.
4. Once the rice dough is fully combined take it off the heat, oil your hands and continue to smooth out the lumps in the dough till it’s completely even with no lumps. Set aside.
5. Wash and soak urad dhal for about 30 mins, then add salt and just enough water to grind it to a smooth slightly loose paste.
6. For the tadka, heat the oil in a kadai and add in the ingredients one at a time, starting with mustard seeds.
7. Into the tadka add the urad dhal paste, stir well.
8. Add in the ginger and green chillies, stir well.
9. Finally top with the grated coconut and stir till well combined. Set aside.
10. Make little cups from the rice flour dough, fill then with the urad dhal mixture and close into shell shapes kozhukattais.
11. Grease the idli plate with oil, lay out the kozhukattais on the plate and steam in a cooker. Let the steam build on high heat for 5 minutes, then turn down the flame and cook for another 2 minutes before turning off the flame.
12. Serve with love.
Indulge in these healthy and delicious Ulutham Paruppu Kozhukattai or Urad Dhal Dumplings for a heavy snack or a light meal even after Ganesh Chathurthi.
Subscribe here and we'll send you heartwarming stories and mouthwatering recipes. Promise. Much Love.