Karuppu Kadalai or Black Channa is considered auspicious for Ganesh Chathurti and Girija Paati makes this every year to celebrate. Spicy and flavourful, you can eat this by the bowlful.
This recipe is protein packed and a great snack even on a regular day as it makes a really healthy lentil, delicious as well.
* Black channa - 200 gms
* Salt - approx 20 gms - adjust according to taste
* Coconut grated - 15 gms
* Water to cook
Seasoning / Tadka (all to taste)
* Cooking oil of choice - approx 2 tsp
* Mustard seeds
* Urad dhal
* Dried red chillies - approx 2
* Curry Leaves
* Asafoetida powder
1. Wash and soak the channa for 12-18 hours.
2. Strain the water from the channa.
3. Pressure cook the channa with salt and fresh water (just enough to cover) for about 5 whistles.
4. Open the cooker, drain the water and set the channa aside.
5. Heat the oil for the tadka in a kadai and add the tadka ingredients, one after an other, starting with mustard seeds.
6. Once the tadka is ready, pop in the channa, mix well and cook for 10 minutes.
7. Top with the grated coconut, switch off the flame and mix well.
8. Serve with love.
Enjoy this Black Channa sundal with a hot cup of filter coffee for that perfect pick me up. Follow it up with a Butter Maaladdu and you'll feel so satisfied.
Subscribe here and we'll send you heartwarming stories and mouthwatering recipes. Promise. Much Love.