Quite simple to make, while being absolutely delicious, Girija Paati's Uppu Arisi Kozhukattai or Savoury Rice Coconut dumplings are a must try. The flavours are classic and appeal to almost all palates.
They serve equally well as a starter or snack and can be made as non-spicy or fiery as you like.
* Raw Maavu Rice - 250 gms
* Salt - approx 1.5 tsp
* Coconut grated - 25 gms
* Water - minimum to grind
Seasoning / Tadka (all to taste)
* Mustard seeds
* Urad dhal
* Dried Red Chillies
* Asafoetida powder
* Curry leaves
* Cooking oil of choice
1. Wash the raw rice, soak for 30 minutes, drain, add salt and grind coarsely with about one ladle of water.
2. Add coconut and grind for one quick round (don’t over grind) to get a coarse batter.
3. Heat this batter in a kadai, add about half a cup of water and cook while stirring till the batter thickens so that it can be rolled into balls.
4. Roll the batter in little ball kozhukattais and set aside.
5. Grease the idli plate with oil, lay out the kozhukattais on the plate and steam in a cooker. Let the steam build on high heat for 5 minutes, then turn down the flame and cook for another 2 minutes before turning off the flame.
6. You can serve and eat with love right away or make a spiced up version.
7. Cut up the kozhukattais into halves.
8. Make a tadka of oil and the seasoning ingredients above, once ready add in the cut kozhukattais and toss for a few minutes.
9. Serve with love.
Subscribe here and we'll send you heartwarming stories and mouthwatering recipes. Promise. Much Love.